In the second instalment of sewing tips from celebrity sewing expert May Martin we learn how she tackles the tricky challenge of working with sequins. Take it away May…
- For this glamorous dress I used the Newlook pattern number 6261. (click here for pattern)
- I mounted my fabric on lining to add stability. The fabric and lining are then constructed as one.
- When laying the pattern pieces on this lovely fabric make sure to position them all in the same direction so that the sequins all shimmer the same way.
- Most fabrics are cut double with the right side on the inside. This fabric needs to have the sequins facing you as they have a tendency to catch on each other the other way round.
- I used some really sharp dressmaking pins, fine hand sewing needles plus I treated my sewing machine to a new fine needle.
- Cut out with really sharp shears.
- Tack EVERYTHING as the fabric moves.
- Press as you go positioning a muslin over your seams. I also used a seam roll to prevent impressions.
- I hand sewed all my hems and used the lining to bind my seam edges.